Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Self Inflicted Abuse

Most Mom's, I believe, are quite familiar with the day when their sweet cuddly baby crosses over into this raging infant/toddler fit thrower. It's almost like an overnight thing for most. There's alot of excuses as parents that we give. My favorite for example is "it's her teeth." Damien I like to say "he missed his nap." Really for Mia though, it's a bit different. She has always been a big drama queen always doing something to harm herself. For most of her short life when she gets upset, she scratches her head till it bleeds and pulls wads of her hair and then I don't know if she forgets how to let go but she doesn't. This was extremely aggravating when she was a month or two old trying to rescue her from herself all day. She still does this horrible torture to herself but will let go usually before I get to her to lend a hand now that she's 10 months.
Recently though, her fits are getting pretty extreme. She's learned to sit up on her knees and it's just cute watching her bounce around clapping her hands....when she's in a good mood. But don't piss her off in this position or let her get in the position when she's mad. She'll either throw herself frontwards or backwards on purpose. Did I mention we have stone tile in our house? I usually try laying her flat on her back but she'll still get up on her knees and throw herself. Nice eh? You'd think after the past month of doing this over and over she'd realize "well golly! That kinda hurt!" But no. She does it over and over again to a point I really wonder if she's going to hurt herself enough that someone else may get concerned. What I don't get is how when Damien tries to shut a door on her she grabs the door so she won't get smashed but her fits, she never tries to stop herself from getting hurt. Of course we run to her and comfort her which is I think all she's wanting anyways. This morning she purposely face planted herself into her crib rail because I just got out of the shower when she awoke and was going to go get dressed. I peeked in and said "I'll be right back" and then I saw her little face get an angry look with her grunting and forward she went. I tried to run in and catch her but it didn't work. I'm really worried it's going to bruise her cheek. I again picked her up sobbing to comfort her. This blog post will be my explanation if the police should arrive at my house anytime soon. Anyone else thinking about buying this for their little ones this Christmas? lol

2 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Oh my god! How aweful! I cannot say that either of my boys have done this very much... but I have had experiences with other children that do. It is aweful as a parent I am sure...

Rhonda said...

Mine have not done this! I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to watch her hurt herself like that! I hope she stops soon!