Sunday, January 20, 2008

Adding One More To The Bunch

Mia
Damien
And Dominic came down with a low grade fever tonight saying "I not feel good mommy." I have the worst stuffed up nose, sneezing and my throat is killing me and I'm a bit tired but I have no time to feel sick.
Here's some interesting tidbits I found this weekend. Things I wish I would have known before hand so I could have tried some Lysol and bleach before this got too out of control around here.
Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a major cause of respiratory illness in young children. RSV causes infection of the lungs and breathing passages. In adults, it may only produce symptoms of a common cold, such as a stuffy or runny nose, sore throat, mild headache, cough, fever, and a general feeling of being ill. RSV infections often occur in epidemics that last from late fall through early spring. Respiratory illness caused by RSV — such as bronchiolitis or pneumonia — usually lasts about a week, but some cases may last several weeks. RSV is highly contagious, and can be spread through droplets containing the virus when a person coughs or sneezes. The virus can also live on surfaces such as countertops or doorknobs, and on hands and clothing. RSV can be easily spread when a person touches an object or surface contaminated with the virus. The infection can spread rapidly through schools and child-care centers. Infants often get it when older kids carry the virus home from school and pass it to them.
Good to know, eh? Dominic is just at the beginning of this but I told Dave if I have to I'll take Damien to the ER because his cough is so bad he's throwing up. His wheezing rattle is extremely loud (you can hear him across the room) and he's looking miserable. Day 7 for Mia and she's starting to come out of the dead stage. She actually played with some toys last night and danced to some music.

3 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

I little boy at daycare had it is Sam's room and I have been whatching Sam-- How long do the symptoms take to appear if he is going to get it? He has his one year appointment today I hope that we get the all clear for that and his ears.

Sabrina said...

Alex started up on Monday and Damien started coughing and wheezing on Friday so it took him a few days. Dominic seems to be better now, so it only affected him for 2 days.

Lucia's Mom said...

I don't know if you are still doing the breathing treatments, but we allow special treats when it's going, videos (not normal for us) and pacifier (only usually for bedtime) are allowed. And we don't have the facemask, just a tube that she needs to hold 3-5 inches from her face. We let her hold it sometimes and she enjoys having control of it. I always let her choose where she sits, on daddy's lap, in her rocking chair, etc. as long as she stays there. Maybe try getting the other kids out of the room so they aren't a distraction?

Good luck! Getting antibiotics down her throat was another matter ... we were literally holding her down and forcing it in until I taught her how to work the plunger on the medicine and she can give it herself now, happily.

But Lucia is older than Mia and it sounds like she doesn't need antibiotics anyway.